Moderate COPD is the intermediate stage among four stages of lung diseases. It is in between the mild stage and critical level of illness. FEV1 to FEV ratio of patients in moderate stage is lesser than 70% and FEV1 reaches 50-79% in value. Symptoms of disease start appearing at this stage and a person begins to experience multiple shortcomings in their lifestyle. Moderate COPD doesn’t have any permanent cure and lungs can’t get back to normal state, but there can be steps taken to prevent the disease to go to higher level. Shortness of breath is the symptom experienced by people in moderate COPD stages and they get chronic coughing and many more related appearances. It includes occasional COPD flaring-up and lungs start experiencing troubles often.
Moderate COPD symptoms and diagnosis:
The symptoms of COPD at all stages are almost the same, but they start appearing differently to various patients. Moderate COPD symptoms are far clearer than the symptoms experienced at early stages. A patient starts feeling low and shortening of breath. It is the most important signal of getting COPD disease. In fact, many people recognize their moderate COPD symptoms at this stage because the indications are often misunderstood at primary levels.
Patients can discuss their symptoms with doctors and usually, spirometery test is performed by physicians to check air capacity of lungs. In fact, this result only depicts COPD stage of a patient. The guidelines and moderate COPD level of every patient is variable and treatments are given accordingly by their respective practitioner.
Moderate COPD treatments
- Terminate Smoking: Smoking is the root cause of COPD and should be stopped immediately on diagnosis of COPD. Moderate COPD is the middle way of the disease, but even if patients quit smoking at this stage, it will be helpful in decreasing the growth of this disease. Quitting the habit of smoking can allow you to live a better life and avoid critical condition of disease to originate in your body. If you are a regular smoker, it would be preferable to talk to your doctor regarding the ways to quit smoking completely.
- Vaccinations: Flu and pneumonia can impact lungs and patients with moderate COPD needs to decrease the risk of getting the disease to critical stages. Hence, lung related infections should be prohibited by these vaccine shots at regular intervals.
- Short or long acting bronchodilators: Bronchodilators are rescue inhalers and can prohibit worsening of lung distortion. It can reduce the symptoms of COPD and improves stability of lungs. These medications have few side-effects on a few patients.
- Oxygen therapy: This is the way of supplying surplus oxygen to lungs and promotes easy breathing mechanism. Lack of oxygen supply to lungs can cause issues in breathing. Portable oxygen concentrators are available for patients to get regular supply of oxygen.
- Protein therapy: People affected from moderate COPD due to reduced protein levels can get therapy for protein supply inside the body. It can help in supplying extra protein to body and supply adequate protein quantities inside body.
- Balanced diet: Healthy and nutritious diet is essential for planning an adequate treatment plan. This can make you feel better and gives better immunity to body for fighting from infections.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation groups: Moderate COPD needs to be stopped from getting towards excessive stages. Pulmonary rehabilitation incorporates healthcare team to target various areas of treatment and reduce symptoms of disease. It is used to increase chances of survival and gives education to patients to control the disease at moderate COPD levels.