Emphysema treatment: Why it is required?
Emphysema treatment is required for patients having anatomic differentiation in lungs and is generally caused by indifferent enlargement of air spaces to terminal. It brings distortion in walls of lungs and brings dire need of emphysema treatment for the body to bring stability in patient’s condition. Emphysema is a prolonged disease having no scope of permanent ending, but patients are given various emphysema treatments to get rid of the problem.
Emphysema treatment arises mostly in people having continuous smoking habit and exposure towards polluted atmosphere. Emphysema is a Greek word, which means inflation.
Emphysema treatment: Understand different forms of disease
- Centrilobular (central area of secondary lobule)
- Panlobular (whole of secondary lobule)
- Airspace enlargement with fibrosis
Emphysema treatment: General medications prescribed by physicians
The main aim for prescribing medications is to provide emphysema treatment to patient by relieving them from complexities and unblocking air passages. There are various medicine courses given to different patients, based on the level of their disease and suitability to their body. The primary emphysema treatment given by doctor is to quit smoking and even, keep away from passive smoking.
Some common emphysema treatments are enlisted below:
- Antibiotics: These medications are helpful in fighting off respiratory infections (like pneumonia, flu, acute bronchitis), which are very common in patients having emphysema.
- Steroids: Steroids can work as emphysema treatment in the cases involving chronic diseases, like bronchitis or asthma. Steroids mainly have side effects on the body, like high BP, diabetes, cataract, bone weakening and other issues. You should talk to your doctor before taking steroids.
- Bronchodilator Medications: These medications are taken orally or through aerosol sprays. Emphysema treatments through these medications can relax and open air passages in lungs.
- Oxygen therapy: Oxygen is available in multiple forms and act as one of the most effective emphysema treatments. You might use different devices at home to breathe in oxygen and get relieved from breathing shortening.
- Protein therapy: This treatment is suggested for those having Alpha-1 antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency. It prohibits lungs damage.
- Vaccination: Emphysema treatment can be done by regularly giving pneumonia shot (5-6 years) and flu shot (annually) to prevent infection origination.
- Surgical lung transplantation: Lung transplantation is emphysema treatment for patients having chronic disease. Some cases might require small surgery for removal of damaged lung tissue wedges.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: This is essential to give guidelines to patients and doing emphysema treatment psychologically. They are given education about disease, counseling on right nutrition, smoke quitting regimen, exercising and learning special breathing techniques.
Emphysema treatment through Natural Processes
- Avoid smoking and certain environments: If you think that certain factors can increase emphysema, it would be better to avoid them. Smokers need to quit their habit immediately as the condition will get worst with regular smoking. Also, you should avoid atmosphere having smog, smoke, dust, industrial pollution or any other factors activating emphysema.
- Usage of herbs: Some herbal medications are successful in naturally getting rid of infection and gives anti-inflammatory effects on body. Emphysema treatments having natural scope are suitable to some people and can give relief from breathing issues.
- Sulphur in-take: Sulphur is a mineral having virtue of improving lungs. It can build protein structure and creates metabolism of body. It also has anti-allergic properties.
- Balanced diet, water and juice: Regular in-take of juices, fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, buttermilk, juices and other de-oxidants can be useful in getting emphysema treatment naturally.