Emphysema treatment options: What they can do for you?
Emphysema treatment options are meant to reduce the impacts of Emphysema. It is a fact that emphysema is incurable and permanent disease, but there are certain Emphysema treatment options, which can help you to get rid of the symptoms and troubles associated with the disease. They might slow progression of disease and make it less evil for sufferers.
Emphysema treatment options: Medications
There are certain medications, which can help to reduce the worse effects of emphysema. These Emphysema treatment options are usually adopted by cases having severe or prolonged shortness of breath. Some Emphysema treatment options medications are enlisted below:
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics can help a person to get rid of bacterial infection and its growth inside lungs. Acute bronchitis or pneumonia can be treated with antibiotic course.
- Bronchodilators: These drugs are meant to relieve regular coughing, breath shortening and relax blocked airways. These are Emphysema treatment options, which suits only rare cases.
- Smoking cessation drugs: These medications can help patients to quit smoking, which is the foremost step in eradicating emphysema.
- Steroids: Steroids are mainly used in the form of aerosol sprays and can open restricted ways. Prolonged usage of steroids can have worst impacts on bones and can even lead to other troubles.
Emphysema treatment options: Common therapies used
- Oxygen concentrator: This device can be used to supply oxygen to lungs and thus, making patients easy to inhale the gas. Many people have to use oxygen concentrators for many hours in a day to get proper breathing.
- Protein therapy: This treatment is mainly referred to patients having Alpha-1 antitrypsin (AAT) deficiency. It reduces the risk of damage in lungs.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation: This is one of the most important emphysema treatment options and includes teaching patients about breathing exercises, which can help in reduction of breathlessness. There are centers made for counseling of patients and explaining different modules of emphysema to them. They are guided about proper nutrition and weight loss or gain stages appropriate for their present condition.
- Regular vaccination: This is also essential amongst all emphysema treatment options. It includes giving regular flu or pneumonia shots to people having emphysema.
Emphysema treatment options: Surgical procedures
- Reduction in lung volume: These are emphysema treatment options involving surgical ways to eliminate small wedges of damaged lung tissue. It can help to breathe properly and let remaining tissues work effectively.
- Lung transplantation: Lung transplants are emphysema treatment options for the people having severe emphysema. It is referred to people for whom other ways of treatment have failed and have only this surgical means left.
Emphysema treatment options: Home remedies and general precautions
- Quit smoking and passive smoking
- Avoid respiratory irritants, like petrol exhaust, paint, perfumes, incenses, candles
- Change air conditioner fillers and furnaces regularly
- Protect from cold air
- Make an exercise routine
- Eat balanced diet
- Don’t take too cold liquids
- Use natural herbs and other home remedies as emphysema treatment options.